Over the years, I have asked a few business owners how much they usually spend on storing racks and bins for their warehouses. As I expected, the costs ranged from a few hundred bucks to thousands! If you aren’t quite ready to spend this much money and time, you can get your racks and bins set up in just a few minutes; and best yet, it costs absolutely NOTHING!
I came across some sturdy grocery boxes at Costco, and realized that these boxes would serve as perfect storage bins for many small businesses. Here are a few things I particularly like about these boxes:
1. Since these boxes have open end design, the space between 2 stacked bins allows you to check the contents of each bin, as well as reach the products you need to grab, without having to remove surrounding bins. What I do sometimes is cut off a small portion of the box to get an even bigger “window.” (See 1st image)
2. You can stack up as many bins as you like, since they fit right over each other. Yep, building your own rack couldn’t be easier!
3. Corrugated boxes are very sturdy, many can hold up to 20 lbs.
4. Most boxes are made from recycled materials and can, of course, be recycled as well. By reusing these boxes, you know you’ll be helping the environment at the same time.
5. If you need more bins, just make a trip to your local grocery store. They almost never run out of stock!
Here are some tips: Make sure to pick CLEAN boxes, because you don’t want your merchandise smelling like garlic! Plan ahead by measuring the dimensions of your shelves and checking the size and quantity of your products. You don’t have to bring in hundreds of boxes in just one trip; but keep in mind that there are a variety of sizes and shapes to choose from, and depending on availability, you may not be able to get the same sized boxes each time. And finally, to make your life easier, print out stickers with the products’ SKU numbers and label the outsides of each box for easy reference.
I hope you found this post helpful. Enjoy your new convenient, super inexpensive, and eco-friendly racks and bins!